Ryan A. Keane
Ryan has served as lead counsel in numerous high-profile class actions and has obtained millions of dollars in relief to thousands of class members. Ryan has tried cases in both state and federal court. He has also argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals (Eighth Circuit), and Missouri Court of Appeals (Western and Eastern Districts).
Ryan spearheaded several class actions challenging the constitutionality and validity of red light cameras throughout Missouri. As a result, Ryan obtained a number of significant appellate victories that invalidated the majority of red light camera ordinances in Missouri. In doing so, Ryan successfully persuaded the Court of Appeals to overrule another appellate decision that had endorsed red light cameras. He then parlayed that success into securing the largest settlement in the State of Missouri in 2015 (an $18,000,000 class action settlement that offered cash refunds to hundreds of thousands of people).
Before attending law school, Ryan worked as a commercial real estate broker. After law school, Ryan worked as an attorney at a large defense firm in the field of insurance litigation. He then worked at The Simon Law Firm for five years where he gained significant experience as a plaintiffs attorney including time spent leading the firm’s class action department.
Ryan is deeply passionate about fighting to ensure the fair administration of justice. The legal maxim “fiat justitia ruat caelum” continues not only to be an indelible imprint on his life, but also a driving force for his pursuit of the truth.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2022 (This distinction is bestowed upon the most esteemed in the legal profession and only recognizes the top 4% of attorneys in the country)
- Super Lawyers, 2021 (Only 5% of attorneys in Missouri & Kansas receive this distinction)
- Best Lawyers in America, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Rising Star – Super Lawyers, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 (Only 2.5% of Missouri attorneys have membership)
- Top 40 Under 40 Litigation Lawyers in Missouri – American Society of Legal Advocates, 2017 (Less than 1.5% of lawyers selected nationally)
- Top Ten Personal Injury Attorney in Missouri – American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, 2016
- Largest Settlement in State of Missouri, Missouri Lawyers Media, 2015
- Up and Coming Attorneys, 2014 (Chosen as 1 of 54 Missouri attorneys who have demonstrated excellence and a potential to make a difference in the legal profession and their communities. The award recognizes lawyers who are 40 or younger, or within the first 10 years of practice)
Lead counsel in several appellate victories in 2013 that invalidated red light camera programs throughout Missouri:
- Brunner v. City of Arnold, 427 S.W.3d 201 (Mo. App. E.D. 2013) (red light camera ordinance declared unconstitutional and void)
- Damon v. City of Kansas City, 419 S.W.3d 162 (Mo. App. W.D. 2013) (red light camera ordinance declared void because it conflicted with state law)
- Edwards v. City of Ellisville, 426 S.W.3d 644 (Mo. App. E.D. 2013) (same)
- Unverferth v. City of Florissant, 419 S.W.3d 76 (Mo. App. E.D. 2013) (same)
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Red Light Cameras
Missouri Municipal and Associate Circuit Judges Association (MMACJA) Annual Conference.
- Class Action Litigation 101: Settlement Strategies
National Business Institute
- St. Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2009
- Colgate University, B.A., 2003